[p4] RE: Automated build trigger

Fawad Khan FawadKhan at AirgoNetworks.Com
Thu Jun 24 17:45:48 PDT 2004

Currently, I use the "p4 changes" command on the set of directories
listed in the build script to figure out what changes have taken place
since the last build and if there are change I trigger a build. For
example the following would be used to determine changes to the l3mob
branch since the last build assuming the last build labeled the files
within the l3mob branch with label AP_1.2.0.17-l3mob:
p4 changes //depot/foo/bar/feature_branches/l3mob/... at AP_1.2.0
<mailto:$@AP_1.2.0> .17-l3mob, at now
The problem with triggering the automated build using the above command
is that the presence of the filespec using the label limits Perforce to
look for change lists which affect only the files which have been
labeled with the given label. But, if a new file was introduced into the
feature branch after the last build, then the new file will not be
considered when the above p4 changes command is subsequently issued.
Because of this problem, we were trying to come up with an alternate
mechanism to trigger the automated build. But, so far, I have not come
up with a viable solution.
Any ideas on how to solve this problem?