[p4] Branches and file renaming

Noel Llopis nll_pub at convexhull.com
Thu Jun 24 19:42:47 PDT 2004

Hello,

My company's Perforce depot is set up to have a main line and several
branches, one for each functional group. Groups work on their own branch,
integrate often from the main line, and periodically integrate their changes
back to the main line.

We're having problems whenever file renames are involved. Renaming a file in a
branch and Integrating it back to the main branch works fine, but any attempts
to integrate any other changes to those files from the other branches usually
fails completely.

I searched the archives and I saw several posts mentioning similar situations
(including this one from a couple of years ago:
http://maillist.perforce.com/pipermail/perforce-user/2002-December/028451.html).
Unfortunately, I didn't see any very promising answers or workarounds.

About the only answer I was able to find out was modifying the branch mapping
to take the renaming into account. I think that will be very tedious and time
consuming and would discourage people from refactoring file names. Especially
since that change will have to be propagated to every single branch mapping
(OK, I could write a script to do that, but still).

Are there any better solutions for dealing with branches and file renaming? I
would imagine that's something that people must be doing all the time, but
it's close to unusable right now in Perforce. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

--Noel
Games from Within
http://www.gamesfromwithin.com