[p4] "why should I restrict a changelist to a branch?"

Nick Barnes Nick.Barnes at pobox.com
Mon Mar 7 14:08:22 PST 2005

At 2005-03-07 17:35:50+0000, "Jay Glanville" writes:
> Hello all.
>
> I need some help (in so many ways, but for now, lets focus on P4 help).
> I need a good argument for a situation.
>
> Just the other day, I noticed that co-worker submitted a changelist that
> modified the same file in two different branches.  I recommended to him
> that it probably would be better if he limited a changelist to a single
> branch.  To which, he replied, "Why?  Both versions of the file were
> modified for the same reason (a bug)."
>
> My counter argument was, "to keep the two branches in sync.  By making
> the change in one branch, and then integrating it into the other branch
> allows us to see that delta A has been propagated to the other branch."
>
> His counter to my counter was, "So what?  Once they branched, they now
> have separate lives.  If I want to apply a single change to both
> versions, I'll do it in a single changelist.  Besides, what does an
> integrate actually mean?  Does it mean that the branches are
> synchronized?  What does it mean when I've only propagated some changes
> and not all?  Performing 'p4 integrate' doesn't actually give me
> anything."
>
> And that's where I failed:  I couldn't think of a good argument as to
> why he should limit a changelist to a single branch.

I'm sure there are other good reasons, but here's three to get the
ball rolling:

1. For the same reason that cut-and-paste is bad.  He might think he's
making the same change to both branches.  How can he be sure?  The
edit/integrate/resolve pattern gives you the identical fix if there's
no clash, and makes you think about how his fix interacts with
differences between the branches when there is a clash.

2. It's a Bad Habit, which will eventually cause the job system to
Tell You Lies.  Make a change to both branches, fixing a job in branch
A but not in B (maybe by oversight).  Now ask p4 fixes B/...

3. I have no idea how it interacts with people working in an
integrating-changes mode.  What happens when you integrate such a
changelist across the branch?  Ick.

Nick B