[p4] Perforce server lockup problem

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 03:31:19 PST 2005

I know of 2 companies that had problems upgrading to a new box running
Windows 2003 server, though they were both running p4d 2003.2. The culprit
turned out to be anti-virus software.

One other point for you is what version of the p4d server did you upgrade
from and how big are your branches and how much integration history do you
have? The integration behaviour changed in 2004.2 to make it more
intelligent about  finding the common ancestor, but I presume this is at the
cost of having to do more work (I don't know, but am looking forward to the
presentation at the user conference on this subject!). It is *possible* you
are hitting an edge case in this.

It might be worth installing an older version of your p4d (using the
checkpoint before you upgraded) on similar hardware and test things out. If
you don't have suitable hardware, then perhaps you can do it on your new box
if you have enough disk space to duplicate things, and a slack period when
to try.

Robert

  _____