[p4] Continuous integration tools

Kevin Wang rightsock at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:52:51 PST 2005

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the best reason for choosing
cruisecontrol - not re-inventing the wheel.

CC already does so much:
automatic reporting
already knows how to talk to perforce
automatically mails the people who checked in the change + others who
want to know about every single build breakage, like managers.

and as for cruisecontrol doing incremental vs from scratch builds, cc
DOES have the option to do regular builds form scratch.  last time I
used it (gads, it's been like 2-3 years) I set it up to do daily
builds from scratch to prevent accidents that incremental builds mask.

and most of all, it's EASY. I remember it taking less than a day to
set it up the first time.  plus integration with a web based cvs
browser and not only can you see what the submit messages are, but you
can see what changed.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I haven't touched CruiseControl in awhile.

BTW, I also recommend setting things up so that "the build is broken"
messages go to a mailing list, and that way you can tell the users to
subscribe themselves if they want to know when someone ELSE breaks the
build.

   - Kevin

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:26:04 -0600, Ken.Williams at thomson.com