[p4] [OT] recommendations for a code-review system

Matthew Janulewicz Matthew.Janulewicz at cardinal.com
Fri Mar 11 10:23:12 PST 2005

I've played around with CodeStriker (about a year ago) and liked it.
Simple, web-based, free (open), etc.

Unfortunately, we hadn't switched over to Perforce yet. We were still
using PVCS Version Manager. I have some scripts that take diffs from
there, schmoozes them into a format that CodeStriker likes, etc., if
anyone is interested.

I would imagine that it would be very easy to take the output from p4
describe and make CodeStriker like it. I would suggest writing some kind
of post-submit trigger and, hopefully, have your engineers checking in to
a non-production branch. This way, you can merge/build only reviewed code.
I'm not sure how you would get at the data pre-submit.

Once the data is in, CodeStriker is pretty cool. It color codes
adds/deletes/changes and the presentation is very obvious and clean. You
can click on line numbers and add coments, etc. It wasn't my decision to
use/not use it, so we currently don't use it. Our review process is more
manual, and is facilitated by integrating Perforce with our defect
tracking software.

The only other 'complaint' I had about CodeStriker is that it's a fairly
independant piece of software, meaning, mainly, no LDAP, so any users you
need you have to enter by hand. If you have a lot of them, that won't be
fun. But again, you get the source and can modify it as you please (I
think it's Perl) so maybe this is your bag.

-Matt