[p4] Best Practices for enforcing codeline open/closed policy?

Bryan Pendleton bpendleton at amberpoint.com
Fri Mar 11 12:11:23 PST 2005

Some of my users are interested in actively enforcing
certain codeline policies. To start with, they are
interested in ways to configure Perforce so that it
enforces the notion of "open" and "closed" for a codeline.

I can think of at least 3 possible ways this might be done:
  - protections
  - triggers
  - additional branches

In our particular case, codelines may "open" and "close"
frequently (several times a day). We currently do this
totally by convention. Violations of the policy are accidental;
we are just looking to have Perforce help "catch us if we
make a mistake".

Has anybody gathered some nice guidelines or best practices
about good ways to do this? Any pointers you can send me?

thanks,

bryan