[p4] Excessive p4v pinging of the server - anyone seen this?

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Mon Mar 14 08:59:22 PST 2005

As I was doing some server side chores yesterday I
noticed one of my users had 35,000 "pings" (user-dirs,
user-fstat) over the last week. That's 10 times the
next most active user (me, with three instances of
p4win most of the time) and 40 times the activity
of the only other regular p4v user.

He checked his settings and it's all default - should
only check the server every five minutes or so. His
client's mapping is the default 1:1, etc. He doesn't
have lots of files checked out or is doing anything
odd with the few he does have.

He's running on Unix (Solaris or Linux, not sure at
this time).

Anyone seen this kind of thing before? -Wm