[p4] Question about locking branches

Andy Nguyen anguyen at oblix.com
Tue Mar 15 13:50:50 PST 2005

Hi,

What would be a proper way to lock a subdirectory in Perforce?

For example:

The current branch is opened to every one:

//depot/projectA/...

And I would like to lock just one sub directory below it, saying
//depot/projectA/module1/... to prevent any check-in

So in my "p4 protect", I would have

Write group dev * //depot/projectA/...
Write group dev * -//depot/projectA/module1/...
Write user jane * //depot/projectA/module1/...

No one can access to //depot/projectA/module1/...  then can't even sync
to it except for jane

But I would like everyone to access //depot/projectA/module1/... ,'open'
access only.  And jane will have full access to it.

I tried "open" for group dev, but it still doesn't work.  Any idea, p4
lock won't work, because jane needs to submit her change.

Write group dev * //depot/projectA/...
open group dev * //depot/projectA/module1/...
Write user jane * //depot/projectA/module1/...

Thanks,
-Andy