[p4] backup strategy

John-Mason P. Shackelford john-mason at shackelford.org
Wed Mar 16 12:35:55 PST 2005

Greetings all.

In the process of moving our Perforce installation to an active /
passive Linux cluster I discovered that a tarball of our depot files
(about 5 gigs) takes about 6 hours to explode, that's without
compression (though  I am using -v). This is rather disconcerting given
that our depot is tiny in comparison to what it will be a year from now
as we are still rolling out the tool to the development groups in our
organization and that, in the event of a disaster--God forbid it should
ever occur--we cannot afford an outage this long to restore.

The depot files are stored on a SAN so theoretically it should be fairly
fault tolerant and we shouldn't need to restore from the tar, but for
the sake of Murphy I'd like to develop a back up strategy that is
optimized for a relatively quick restore. I'd be interested to hear how
others are coping with this.

Much appreciated,

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer