[p4] Large development defect management (was: P4 with BugZilla, TeamTrack or ????)

John-Mason P. Shackelford john-mason at shackelford.org
Fri Mar 18 14:07:44 PST 2005

Jeff,

Be careful what you wish for. We've been using TeamTrack here at Pearson
Ed. for many years and there is a large and growing contingent that
would love to see us move to Bugzilla. We have 800+ TeamTrack users,
many separate development teams with a diversity of projects many of
which are large and complex. IMHO the flexibility that TeamTrack gives
you is much more of a liability than an asset.

The Eclipse project uses Bugzilla very effectively, far more effectively
than we use TeamTrack. IMHO their model is one to emulate.

You may also want to look at ExtraView http://www.sesame.com.

For metrics look at CodeReports
(http://www.codehistorian.com/codereports-metrics.php) and give
SmartBear a call. They are currently in development on a new web-based
product.

My advice is: avoid TeamTrack and use one standard workflow for your
whole organization. With a flexible tool like Bugzilla, I think it
really is possible and it will make life much easier for your
organization over the long haul.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement