[p4] backup strategy

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:38:28 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:10:17 -0600, John-Mason P. Shackelford
<john-mason at shackelford.org> wrote:

> Does anyone had experience tailing the journal file to another disk to
> assist rapid recovery? If doing so didn't impose a significant
> performance hit we could combine it with an rysnc or bu against the
> depot files every few hours so as to keep our spare disk primed for
> recovery--and more currently than the nightly TSM back up of the
> checkpoint and depot files.

Yes.  It works and the load on the server is very small.  You can even
update a journal file on a spare server and replay the journal there
evey few minutes to keep a hot spare that's almost up to date.

Ask Perforce Support.

--
Chuck Karish   karish at well.com   (415) 317-0182