[p4] Mapping a file to two locations on a client workspace

John Jordan JEJordan at bcgi.net
Mon Mar 21 11:26:39 PST 2005

Hello,

            I found some references to this in the mailing list archive, but
they were all a few years old and I wondered if anyone has any new insight
into this. I have the need, when setting up a client view, to map a common
file to two locations within that client. Perforce is not allowing this, I
assume because of the 1 to 1 file relationship within a client, and is only
bringing the last one specified in the client view over to the client root.

I need to do this mainly when building for a release, where we have two
places in the same project that need the same file. Does anyone have any
ideas on how to do this?

Example...

Client view:

            //depot/Proj1/Main/Source/.. //_client1_ws/...

            +//depot/Common/CommonFile.ext //_client1_ws/DIR1/CommonFile.ext

            +//depot/Common/CommonFile.ext //_client1_ws/DIR2/CommonFile.ext

Obviously the real view is a bit more complex than the example..  What
happens above is CommonFile.ext only gets brought over to /DIR2 on the
client, I would like to be able to bring CommonFile.ext to both /DIR1 and
/DIR2 on the client....

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

John Jordan

Software Engineer

Boston Communications Group

Bedford, MA

(781) 904-5118

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments is
confidential, and is intended only for the use of the party to whom it is
addressed.  If you are not the above-named intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this
communication in error, please notify Boston Communications Group, Inc.
immediately by reply to this message or by telephoning (781) 904-5000, and
destroy this message and its attachments, without making any copy or
distribution.