[p4] Binary files always locked on "Open for Edit"?

Lee Marzke lee at marzke.net
Wed Mar 23 06:42:54 PST 2005

It's generally a good idea to use the Perforce "typemap" command to
setup all of the file
extensions your Perforce users make use of when first installing
Perforce.   This is covered
more extensively in the Admin Guide or technote below.

See Technote-69   http://www.perforce.com/perforce/technotes/note069.html

While it's not a good idea to setup locking for all files,  I do
recommend setting the
type of many files that can't be merged to +l.   So initially you may
want to consider
having your Perforce administrator set the +l filetype modifier in the
typemap for any
of the following that you check into Perforce.

 .exe,  .gif,  .jpg,  .png,  .bin, .pdf,

Depending on the files you manage, there may be many more.    As you
noted this will not
affect files already in the repository - which is why it's recommended
to do it at install time.

Lee Marzke