[p4] Resolving changes to a deleted file?

Matthew Janulewicz Matthew.Janulewicz at cardinal.com
Wed Mar 23 12:08:37 PST 2005

My two cents.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you can just do the merge with
'enable baseless merges' turned on, then 'accept mine'. It'll basically
re-create the deleted file with your new one from the other branch.

Note that it creates a break in the history of that file, where it was
deleted then resurrected through an integration. It looks awkward and
non-intuitive when you need to continue integrating to/from that line.

A better solution might be to "un-delete" the file first, as outlined in
this tech note:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/technotes/note008.html

Then merge the file from the other branch into it. To me, this seems
cleaner, the history on the file doesn't look out of whack, and Perforce
will not hiccup (baseless merge) later on if you branch some more to/from
it. As an added bonus, there is an obvious point in the history of the
file where it was deleted and resurrected along the same branch.

-Matt