[p4] automatically building in the latest changelist number for a build

Leo Zelevinsky leo.zelevinsky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:58:53 PST 2005

It feels certain that others have run into my design problem before
and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

We have recently moved from SourceSafe to Perforce. Recently, we have
decided to adopt the perforce strategy for numbering versions - so
that in the version label is built in the latest changelist that was
used in making the build.

I am wondering what would be the best way to make this as foolproof as
possible. For instance, I'd like our Help/About box to display the
latest changelist checked in when this code was last synced. What's
the best way to get at that information?

I am thinking that it should be something like a script I run as part
of the sync which in addition to the sync would create a .h file with
the latest changelist information (I guess gotten via p4 changes -m 1
-s submitted).

Do others do this sort of stuff? Any tips?

Thanks!