[p4] Re: Mapping a file to two locations on a client workspace

Krzysztof Kozminski kk at kozminski.com
Wed Mar 23 20:25:27 PST 2005

John Jordan wrote:

>             I found some references to this in the mailing list
> archive,
> but they were all a few years old and I wondered if anyone has any new
> insight into this. I have the need, when setting up a client view, to
> map a common file to two locations within that client. Perforce is not
> allowing this, I assume because of the 1 to 1 file relationship within
> client, and is only bringing the last one specified in the client view
> over to the client root.
>
> I need to do this mainly when building for a release, where we have two
> places in the same project that need the same file. Does anyone have
> any
> ideas on how to do this?

Either:

1) as someone already suggested, use a relative symbolic link instead
of one of the files

or

2) Branch one file from another and remember to integrate any changes
to the first one (this is ugly - nonatomic).  While I haven't used
commit triggers, their description seems to indicate that they might be
used to do this automatically.

KK