[p4] Large development defect management (was: P4 with BugZilla, TeamTrack or ????)

Smith, Jeff jsmith at medplus.com
Thu Mar 24 06:35:24 PST 2005

I guess I would be interested in knowing the root cause of your users
discontent with TeamTrack.  I've used several defect tracking systems
including Bugzilla and others which are similar.  The lack of
"flexibility" is never an issue for the developers who just want to
close issues but is a problem for the organization which is trying to
enforce a workflow and track information about their defects.

I guess the point is that TeamTrack will do everything Bugzilla (and its
ilk) will do but not vice versa without considerable scripting and
possible source code changes.

I have looked at ExtraView and I was equally impressed with their
"vision" but it doesn't really look that different from TeamTrack in
philosophy.

I think the key is in your statement, "The Eclipse project uses Bugzilla
[...] far more effectively than we use TeamTrack."  It's not clear this
is an issue with either product but simply with the implimentations.
You could architect an equally bad implimentation of Bugzilla or an
equally good implimentation of TeamTrack.  But, having used both, I feel
it is easier to do complicated things with TeamTrack, should it be
necessary, than with Bugzilla type systems.  Of course, your
organization has to be willing to expend the resource to do the
implimentation correctly in either case or people will be unhappy no
matter what you use.

Jeff