[p4] Running Perforce on VMWARE GSX or ESX

Ed Mack edm at wrq.com
Thu Mar 24 09:38:05 PST 2005

Hi Anthony,
We are currently looking into using VMWare's GSX Server to consolidate
our build systems onto a single server.  We don't have any plans to run
Perforce on a virtual machine, though.

There is an interesting analysis and comparison of GSX Server, ESX
Server, and Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 here:
http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com/vil/pc/vil/primergy/performance/siz
ing/sg_virtual-servers-performance-basics_en.pdf

I can think of three reasons to use some sort of virtual server for
Perforce: server consolidation, hardware independence, and the ability
to restore an image from the past.  The metadata in Perforce is already
hardware/OS independent, via checkpoints, and checkpoints can be used to
restore previous states, so I'm guessing you are looking at VMWare for
server consolidation.

Using a virtual machine, you will suffer a performance hit--how much
depends on how you configure your server (the article, above, has a
section on performance), and which product you use (ESX Server takes the
place of on OS on the host computer, freeing up resources for the VMs to
use).  Depending on how our evaluation goes, we are willing to trade
some performance in our daily builds (and a few continuous build
processes) for hardware independence--so we don't have to keep older
build machines around to maintain past product releases.  Having our IT
department maintain and back up the server for our CM group is another
plus.

Personally, I would hesitate putting Perforce on a VM, only because
performance is such a priority.  Your priorities and goals may be
different.  Technically, I don't think you will have any problems
running Perforce in a VM; I think it would work well.

Ed

  _____