[p4] Large development defect management (was: P4 with BugZilla, TeamTrack or ????)

Smith, Jeff jsmith at medplus.com
Fri Mar 25 07:00:04 PST 2005

John,

You bring up some good points although that's not what I was discussing.
I was simply addressing the first issue with selecting a CM tool:

- Can the tool meet the implimentation requirements.

I fully agree that this is not the only question that has to be
answered.  Specifically, the one you indicate is equally as important:

- Does the tool perform as designed and will it scale approriately in
your environment.

Both of these questions are very important but most technical people pay
less attention to the first than they should.  The tool selection
process should be approached like any software project.  This includes
up-front use-case driven requirements.  Only once you have those, you
can look at the possible tools and see if they will meet your needs.

I've seen too many development groups that select a tool simply by
seeing how it is used in other organizations and ignoring the political
and cultural distinctions that will prevent it from being used in the
same way.  There are simply no one-size-fits-all solutions in SCM.  What
you may find as attractive features in Bugzilla may actually turn out to
be negatives for some other development group.

To your specific comments about TeamTrack, I would be interested in
hearing about your implimentation platform.  You refer to "big iron" but
I would like to know

TeamTrack Version?
Webserver and version?
Webserver OS Version?
Backend DB and version?
DB OS Version?
How are the services split between which systems and how are those
systems configured for processors and memory.

We will be doing load testing but it would be nice to hear about your
configuration so that we can have a heads-up with respect to the
hardware we plan to use.

Finally, has Serena support been contacted about your performance issues
and what was their response?

Jeff