[p4] upgrade perforce question

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Mon Oct 3 08:32:53 PDT 2005

The first answer is "start with the release notes. Different releases
will have
different answers, and I'm willing to bet that this is a long enough
jump that
you might have to ask tech support."

The second thing to mention is that any upgrade starts with a checkpoint
operation ("make a checkpoint") followed by a backup. You can understand
why. The upgrade finishes with a checkpoint ("make a checkpoint using
the new format of database schema and reflecting any upgrade
activity") and
its respective backup.   (That's completely independent of whether the
upgrade itself uses the db.* files or the checkpoint as an input.)

I think that the text you're asking about ("restart p4d") means, in
effect,
you've been running "p4d" with some options for the upgrades, and now
it's time to let it go back to normal stuff. "So, start it up like
normal..." is
probably what they mean. (You would probably reread the new server
docs before that, to make sure that the options you're feeding it are
still
exactly the ones you want.)

     -Jeff Bowles