[p4] Client confusion

J. Paul Reed preed at vmware.com
Wed Oct 5 12:00:50 PDT 2005

Jonathan Arnold wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but it would be nice if there
> was some way to have system wide clients, where everyone shares
> the same view, only it is relative to themselves. Or maybe some
> way to have a templated client, that automagically picks up changes
> from everyone else.

The obvious question that pops to mind is why are shared clients being
used at all?

We use shared clients so people have access to tools and such, but the
client specs are locked to everyone save build engineers and the client
areas are exported via read-only NFS.

> But in the meantime, is there any easy way to track client changes?
> I'd even be satisfied if there were some kind of trigger or something
> that would email me whenever someone changes their client.

You can use a spec depot to version client specs, and then do a standard
filelog to see when the specs changed and how they changed.

Later,
Paul
--
Build/Release Engineer