[p4] Client confusion

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Wed Oct 5 12:15:36 PDT 2005

J. Paul Reed wrote:
> Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this has come up before, but it would be nice if there
>> was some way to have system wide clients, where everyone shares
>> the same view, only it is relative to themselves. Or maybe some
>> way to have a templated client, that automagically picks up changes
>> from everyone else.
>

> The obvious question that pops to mind is why are shared clients being
> used at all?
>
> We use shared clients so people have access to tools and such, but the
> client specs are locked to everyone save build engineers and the client
> areas are exported via read-only NFS.

I don't really understand; maybe there is some new nomenclature I'm not
familiar with, but I'm not sure what you mean by "shared clients".  What
I mean by that is there are 4 developers working on a project.  They each
have their own client, with their own view.  But actually, the views are
the same, except that the destination is different. So I might have:

  //depot/Main/project1/...  /jarnold.project1/...
  //depot/Main/libs/...  /jarnold.project1/libs/...

and another developer might have

  //depot/Main/project1/...  /cgolis.project1/...
  //depot/Main/libs/...  /cgolis.project1/libs/...

The problem that comes up is if I add another path to my view because I'm
pulling in more common code:

  //depot/Main/common/... /jarnold.project1/common/...

And if I forget to tell everyone, their build breaks. Or even if I do tell
everyone, they all need to go in and make the change. A real pain, albeit
something that doesn't happen too often.

> You can use a spec depot to version client specs, and then do a standard
> filelog to see when the specs changed and how they changed.

Cool. Didn't know about the spec depot.  I'll look into it.

--
Jonathan Arnold               (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Jiggle The Handle, a personal blog    http://jiggle.anaze.us

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
  - Don Marquis