[p4] Client confusion

Dave Lewis dlewis at vignette.com
Wed Oct 5 12:09:56 PDT 2005

We checkin system client templates.  Developers make changes to it,
and everybody picks up the changes by updating their client
with the template.  There is a sort of trigger system to update
the perforce client from the file everytime it is checked in.
It is also essential if you want to reproduce an old build.

As an organizing idea, it has been very productive.

The template clients have standardized names, and there is a
naming convention for labels and branches which ties in with that.

Given a label, you can see what template client was used, for instance.

dave