[p4] What to do when the depot reaches a particular MB size

Bhavbhuti Nathwani venussoftop at hotpop.com
Thu Oct 6 00:34:26 PDT 2005

Hi all

I was just thinking what could be the steps that can be taken when the
depot reaches a decided size of MB's or GB's for that matter.

As there may be a chance that many of the projects included in the
depot may have the development stabled, or maybe the files are of a
dead project.

How can one remove such files from the depot, and maybe if required
reintroduce them when (and if) required, back into the depot from the
state they were in when removed.

Hope I have been able to explain it.  Here is an example of my idea.

I have a source code file which has been modifed 5 times so I have 5
versions of the file in the depot.  Now I want to remove such files to
reduce the depot size.  Later if the project revives I want to add all
these 5 version and start from there with the latest modifications to
it being version 6 of the file (maybe by basing it on the 4th
version).
Regards
Bhavbhuti