[p4] How to take a backup

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Thu Oct 6 09:05:34 PDT 2005

In general, the answer to "how to backup a Perforce installation to
another machine?" is:
     1. Make a checkpoint of the Perforce server's relational
database. This read-locks
         the database tables so that updates are blocked until the
checkpoint is written.
         (Implication: you can checkpoint the running server, but no
one else will get
         anything done until the checkpoint's finished.)
     2. Then, you copy the checkpoint and ALL DIRECTORIES OF THE
P4ROOT AREA
         to a backup machine.
         a.    To test the process, restore to an empty machine and
start the server.
         b.    It's going to remind you that you need to have a
Perforce license file for
                 the IP address of the backup machine. Include that
"need" into your
                 backup process/mechanism - ask Perforce Tech Support
for such a file.

Always test such checkpoint mechanisms by restoring onto a completely
separate
machine, and document ON HARD COPY how to restore the server and
where to
get backup-data from off-site to do so. Review these notes about once
a quarter.

This email doesn't give you all the exact commands and arguments to
do the
checkpoints: the manuals and archives of this mailing list do.

Also, if you're very new to Perforce and have a development group
depending on your
expertise, consider taking a Perforce class or bringing one on-site.
It allows you to
get specific questions answered and also gives you a general
framework for approaching
the tool.

     -Jeff Bowles
     Perforce Consulting Partner / Certified Trainer

ps. On the recent server releases, database "journal" is turned on.
That's the
relational database transaction log. Keep that in mind as you read
the docs.
(The rule is: if you want to recover back to the most recent
transactions, that
journal will be really helpful.  Always have that journal feature
enabled for production.)