[p4] How to start fresh and retain users and workspaces?

Jeff Jensen jeffjensen at upstairstechnology.com
Sat Oct 8 11:19:28 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am rolling out Perforce at my customer.  We have been playing with a 30
user eval license this past week.  We've practiced the file & history
conversion about 6 times (of about 7000 source files resulting in over
15,000 changelists; the VSS -> P4 script is really fantastic - salute to the
authors and thank you for doing it!! :-).

It is time for final rollout prep/cleanup.  I would like to just delete all
the files (both db.* and source files) and start fresh.  However, I would
rather not lose all the created user accounts and their workspaces, as they
are all set for production use.

What is the best advice for clearing everything out, yet not having to
retype all the users and workspaces?

Has anyone ever just deleted all the db.* files except the client and user
ones?  I hesitate on that, especially anything but the db.user table (and on
that one too!).

Does anyone have a script that extracts user and/or workspace info to files,
and will reload the info?  (If yes, what happens to the password on
secure=3?)

I also wonder about obliterating everything and manually setting the change
counter to 1.

I will appreciate hearing your advice and experiences!  TIA!