[p4] How to start fresh and retain users and workspaces?

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Sat Oct 8 17:57:11 PDT 2005

I've written a script, but I don't have it handy. Basically, you just
want to use -o to archive the specs. Just leaving db.client won't do
the trick. There are depots, labels and workspaces in db.domain and
elements of those and branches in db.view.

In Bourne shell, something like

for user in `p4 users | cut -f 1`
do
   p4 user -o $user > user.$user
done

to save the specs and

for spec in `ls user.*`
do
   p4 user -f -i < $spec
done

to restore them.

Do this for protect, typemap, users, branches, clients and whatever
else you want to preserve. It would take slightly different process,
but you could also do this for counters.

With security level 3, the passwords will not be preserved. If you
want to do that, you could filter all the db.user records out of the
checkpoint or preserve the db.user file.

Steve