[p4] How to take a backup

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Mon Oct 10 06:47:22 PDT 2005

On Windows the syntax for variables is %P4ROOT%, not $p4root. Also,
environment variables don't know to look at the Perforce registry settings.

Treat $p4root as a symbolic placeholder and put the path to your
intended directory there and things should work.

You will also want to remove the db.* files before trying to restore
from checkpoint or you risk duplicating all of your metadata. Also,
if you are using more than two users or two client workspaces in your
checkpoint, you won't be able to restore from checkpoint without a
valid license file.

Steve