[p4] Using p4jrep for a hot standby

Neil Carson ncarson at everdreamcorp.com
Tue Oct 11 17:00:55 PDT 2005

Greetings and good evening,

My first post to the list. We're just working on a new perforce
installation here at Everdream.

I've purchased two different machines, one as a primary perforce server,
one as a hot or "warm" standby - preferably a hot one. Both are fairly
high end Linux/Opteron machines.

In the case of a hot standby, I was looking at p4jrep. It seems to do a
good job of making sure the second machine's metadata is accurately
mirrored. What I wasn't sure of in this picture is how to then also
mirror the versioned files to the second machine - rsync periodically,
or another method?

What approaches have you typically used successfully in this
configuration? Any advice much appreciated.

            Thanks,

            Neil