[p4] Perforce server upgrade from 2003.1 to 2005.1

Ryan Dooley rd at YAHOO-INC.COM
Tue Oct 11 19:01:43 PDT 2005

Hey,

If it helps any, I just migrated one of our perforce servers from
Solaris 2001.1 to Linux x86 2005.1.  The documentation from perforce.com
was all that I used (moving between architectures, ie, copy the depot
and the journal/checkpoint files to the new host and regenerate the db.*
files.  Worked like a charm minus the unexpected time the process of a
"p4 verify" on the much older host took and I also had about 20% of the
data you have.

The upgrade was done in about a 4 hour window one night and 85% of the
time was the p4 verify on the old host, 10% of the time was the rsync,
and the 5% of the time was a p4 verify on the new host.  YMMV with the
hardware you're moving between.

Cheers,
Ryan