[p4] Trying to use Perforce via Eclipse

Janine Sisk janine at furfly.net
Wed Oct 12 09:16:00 PDT 2005

Thanks, Jeff -  this is useful info.

On Oct 12, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> - The Perforce workspace contains the real assets - the source files.

Ah, ok.  So this is normal then.   I have only worked with Eclipse a
few times and then I was going through tutorials where I created the
files in Eclipse.  In that case it puts them in it's workspace (at
least that's what I remember it doing) so I thought that is where
source is supposed to be.

> - To import an existing project into Eclipse, it must already be a
> proper
> Eclipse project, and that means the directory selected for import must
> contain a .project file.

In the Depot the only .project files are in the directories under
projects, so that makes sense that those are the only ones that
Eclipse recognizes as projects.  But then why does it work ok if I
use Eclipse's Import to get the files from disk instead of doing it
through the plugin?

Actually I should say it works differently, not that it works ok.  I
just tried doing an import of external project again.  It builds when
it loads, and then I have a working Clean option in the Project menu,
which I don't have when I import from Perforce, and I don't get any
of the missing dependency errors so the projects know about each
other, but I still don't seem to have any way to rebuild after
cleaning.  The Build Project item is greyed out.  So something is
still not right, but things are in worse shape if I get the code from
Perforce.

janine