[p4] Passwords and Visual Studio .Net

Mark Allender marka at Volition-inc.com
Wed Oct 12 10:57:13 PDT 2005

> I've got a couple of users who are complaining that VS.Net is
> prompting
> them for their Perforce password several times when they open
> a project,

I'm a little late on the subject having been out on vacation.  I've found
that the following steps work every time in solving the pesky .NET
integration problems.  It's a pain, but after it's done for a solution, you
shouldn't have trouble.  I can't tell you if it will work for your
particular case,  but please feel free to give it a go and let me know how
it goes.  From our internal WIKI:
---------------------------

There is a known problem with the Perforce integration with the .NET IDE.
This problem could manifest itself in a number of ways including getting
errors that say "unspecified error" when opening the solution, or always
being asked to check out the solution and project files when opening the
project. You should be able to get completely set up right the first time by
using the following steps:

- go to explorer to the location where your solution file is
- delete your .ncb and your .suo file. The .suo is hidden so you have to
show hidden files to see it if you aren't already doing that. Delete the ncb
and suo files for any projects that you are having trouble with
- start .NET - DON'T OPEN THE SOLUTION
- go to file/open from source control
- you may have to type in your perforce password. Make sure that client has
your client name in the box.
- use the tree view to browse to the solution file. Ask your lead if you are
unsure where it is located in the depot
- click ok and wait a long time
- click on "overwrite" on the next dialog - this gets the solution from
Perforce and ignores any settings that you currently have
- a windows explorer box comes up - choose the local solition file
(depending on what you opened a few steps ago).
- At this point you are done. To make sure after the solution is all loaded,
quit .NET and then open the project as you normally would. Everything should
be good to go. You should no longer have problems opening a solution that is
under Perforce control.