[p4] Trying to use Perforce via Eclipse

Janine Sisk janine at furfly.net
Wed Oct 12 14:56:56 PDT 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> Sorry, I am not sure on that!  On an empty workspace, I have always
> populated
> the files via P4V first, used "File -> Import" to setup the
> existing Eclipse
> projects, then setup the plugin on the local project files.  Maybe
> someone else
> can answer this one...

Ok, I tried it your way and it worked better.  The only problem now
is that when in Java view, there seems to be no recognition that the
files are under Perforce control.  I opened one, changed it
(answering yes when asked if I wanted to make it writeable) and saved
it, without any activity showing in the Perforce view.  Right
clicking on the file doesn't give me any options to check it out.
The view of the file in P4V doesn't seem to realize that anything has
changed, unless I explicitly tell it to diff the last revision
against the workspace version, and then it shows the line i added.

So then I went back to the Perforce view, navigated to the same file,
and chose "open for edit" from the right-click menu.  Now P4V shows
that I have the file checked out.

So... am I expecting too much to think that I should be able to check
out files from the Java view and not have to switch over to the
Perforce view and navigate to the file each time I want to check one
out?
Or is this just the way it's supposed to work?

> I think the "Build Project" is disabled because you have the
> "Perform build
> automatically on resource modification" option on in preferences
> (it is on by
> default; it is one of the first things I turn off!).  Turn that
> off, and then
> the build is fully under your control:
> Window -> Preferences -> Workbench -> Perform build automatically...

You are, of course, correct.

For the benefit of the list archives, on a Mac this is in Window-
 >Preferences->General->Workspace.

thanks!

janine