[p4] Facilitating code reviews?

Lee Marzke lee at marzke.net
Wed Oct 12 19:46:13 PDT 2005

Robin,

P4DB and p4WEB are nice building blocks in that they take URL's for
arguments, which can
be a change list.   You can just email the URL to the reviewer(s).

Non-trivial changes are often spread over several change lists the
developers client, so a general
process for handling code reviews is to work on private developer
branches.  The developer can then
work on several changes at once, but still have them reviewed
separately. One of the most useful
reports for this is the label-to-label difference report in P4DB.
Unfortunately, this requires use of  labels.

You can easily script added labels to the beginning and end of  the
private workspace,  and
then email out a P4DB URL to the reviewer.   Triggers can also be used
to prevent check-in
until authorized by the reviewer.

I've found that many clients wanted more of a complete solution for
reviews and have
written some small web applications and python scripts to implement the
above work flow,
unfortunately every company has wanted this done in a very different way.

Lee Marzke