[p4] Trying to use Perforce via Eclipse

Janine Sisk janine at furfly.net
Mon Oct 17 00:33:06 PDT 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Jeff Jensen wrote:

> "setup the plugin on the local project files" in my prior response
> means to Team
> -> Share... on each Eclipse project to setup/link it with the
> source control
> system (Perforce).  Sounds like you haven't done that...

AhHa!  You are right.

Ok, so the steps to set up an existing project seem to be:

- create local client workspace in Perforce and update to populate it
with files (I'm using P4V to do this)
- fire up Eclipse and create it's workspace somewhere else
- do File->Import->Existing Projects into Workspace to import files
from Perforce workspace
- get lots of build errors and remember to set the Java compiler to
5.0 because this project requires that (I'm kidding, of course, but I
seem to forget this step *every* time)
- do Right Click->Team->Share Project on each project (because this
source base contains multiple projects)

This seems to work the way I would expect.  Thanks, Jeff, for helping
me through this!

> (you may know this, but just in case...) To work correctly with
> files, Perforce
> needs to start with the read only bit set to on.  The various
> Perforce clients
> update the read only bit accordingly.  This is opposite to CVS
> usage, and
> usually initially confuses new CVS-experienced Perforce users.

I did know this but I appreciate the reminder anyway.  There is
almost no fact that is too basic for me right now!

Thanks again,

janine