[p4] One set of Codebase for 2 Versions of the app

Bhavbhuti Nathwani venussoftop at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 17 21:59:03 PDT 2005

Reposted as it did not appear in 24 hrs.

Hi all

I will try to put into words my thoughts as much clearly as I can.
Please bear with me.

I have a project in the folder c:\vso2\sw\a09 which is already under
Perforce.  Please note this is a FoxPro for DOS app. so I do not have
integrated support of Perforce and I have to do it manually using
P4Win (mostly) and command line options.  Most of the files are screen
files which in FPD are composed of an .SCX, .SCT and .SPR files per
screen.  .SPR files are the text (.PRG) representation of the modified
binary files .SCX & .SCT and I regularly check .SPR for diff purposes.

Now I have a request of a custom app based on this app.  I will have
to add new codes to the project and I will definately have to have 2
diff. versions of some, mostly binary, code files.  There still will
remain a lot of common files.  I know there is a branching facility in
Perforce which I have never used.

What I cannot comprehend is how can I manage this from the same folder
c:\vso2\sw\a09?  If so, what all steps I have to perform before I can
get to use either version of my app for further development.

If such diff. versions have to be in diff. folders then how can I make
a common change in one version that will automatically reflect in the
other version?

Many of the future changes I will have to have in both the versions
and some that will effect only one of the 2 versions.  Some
modifications will be to common named files between the 2 version but
will remain modified for each version seperately and should not
disturb the other version.  Maybe there will be a change that will
effect in parts to either versions and partly in common.

I am sure such situations would have been experienced by you all, but
hopefully I have worded the above right to convey them to you all.
Regards
Bhavbhuti