[p4] Moving directories to depots

Jeff Grills jgrills at drivensnow.org
Wed Oct 26 17:42:00 PDT 2005

I don't think you really want to move to a depot per project - separate
local depots really aren't that useful on a single machine.  You can
certainly solve the disk space problem without resorting to multiple depots.

You didn't indicate the server platform, although you mention "drive A" so
you're likely running a Windows server, and I'll also assume you're running
on NTFS and all the file systems are local.  You should be able to move some
directories from drive A to drive B and use NTFS junction points to link
from the old directory location on drive A to the new directory location on
drive B.  You can get a tool to create junction points from
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html.

If you're using a UNIX based server platform, you can do the same thing (and
more) with UNIX symbolic links (ln -s).

While I've never personally run a server over junction points on Windows, I
have done it with UNIX symbolic links.  The two are basically equivalent
when dealing with directories, so I can't imagine you'd have any problems.
You might consider contacting support, though, and ask them.

I could use a new X1800 while you're at it...