[p4] P4V cannot resolve a file

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Thu Feb 23 08:33:57 PST 2006

Thanks to all of your responses to this issue. One of the big culprits
on this issue is the way we named subdirectories. For example,
StraightThroughProcessing instead of STP and branches
(StraightThroughProcessing-1.2.3.4 vs. STP1.2.3.4).

I've shown the developers a couple of ways to get around this issue. For
example, change their TMP and TEMP environment variable from
"C:\Documents and Settings\<userID>\Local Settings\Temp" to "C:\Temp"
which would save about 40 characters or remap the view in their client
to use shorter directory names. I've also explained that the P4 command
line command is printed right in the log window. They could also go into
the Windows Console, and execute a shortened form of this command.

Unfortunately, I've found Windows developers very reluctant to get
overly technical with the tools they use, and they don't want to change
their environment variables, remap their view, or (gasp!) use the
command line.