[p4] depot filename vs. client filename

Becker, Holger holger.becker at sap.com
Wed Jul 5 07:35:46 PDT 2006

Hi List,

we observe some performance issues with p4 stat depending on the kind of
filenames we use.

If we use the depot filename syntax like //foo/x/y/z.txt the fstat
command last longer
than using the client filename like c:\myperforce\x\y\z.txt.

This seems to depend on the client spec layout. The fstat command with
depot filename syntax
becomes rather slower if the client spec excludes some directories with
wildcards. The fstat
command with client filename doesn't show this behaviour.

We use the depot filename syntax in some perl scripts so we are
wondering if we have to
change these scrips.

I couldn't find anything on the list archive about this problem.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Regards
Holger