[p4] P4Win vs P4V

Brad Holt brad.holt at autodesk.com
Wed Jul 5 08:44:48 PDT 2006

We've actually gone back and forth on this one over time.  P4Win has
always been generally preferred but the pendulum has swung the other way
at times.  A real decider for us was that P4V had the nice diff and
merge GUIs bundled whereas P4Win required a 3rd party utility for this
if you didn't like the all text differ that came with it.  Similarly,
P4V included the really cool Revision Tree and Time Lapse View tools.
The good news now is that the hooks for these tools (even recently the
diff and merge) are available in P4Win.  You just need to make sure that
the user also has P4V installed for these to be available.

Also, as you mentioned, P4V is definitely p4's strategic UI for the
future.  P4Win seems to just be in maintenance mode, though it is nice
of p4 to enable the hooks to the cool new p4v stuff.

So for us the answer is for users to have them both installed (we
include them both in our installer image) and the users can decide for
themselves.  The downside is that some submission aid tools that we had
written relied on the registry from P4Win, and these broke when folks
used P4V.  Also, any extra help documentation and training gets more
complicated when you have to cater to all the different clients.