[p4] P4Win vs P4V

Jason Williams streak at narus.com
Wed Jul 5 13:16:13 PDT 2006

Jeff Grills wrote:
> I think it's pretty clear that p4win is at least heading towards being
> officially deprecated since it's no longer part of the standard p4 Windows
> installer, but p4v is part of that installer.  It used to be the other way
> around.

I'm not so sure that that's a sign that it's being officially
deprecated.  Afterall, if it was being deprecated, there wouldn't
continually be new releases, new bug fixes, etc.

Looking at http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/ntx86.html , I see
many Windows components that aren't continually rev'd: P4GT (2005.1),
P4Report (2004.2), P4OFC (2005.1), CWPerforce (2005.1).

But both the Core Installer and the P4Win Installer are constantly
rev'd.  In fact, there still seems to be features being added to P4Win
(as evidenced from http://www.perforce.com/perforce/latest.html#p4win).

If P4Win was being dropped, I'd at least expect something to appear at
their "Software Updates" page at
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/patchnews.html

Hopefully they'd give people a bit of notice before that happens.

--Jason

This email and attachments may contain Narus, Inc. confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, contact the sender immediately and delete all instances of this email and attachments.