[p4] WARNING: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset

Bhattacharya, Debapriya (Wipro) Debapriya.Bhattacharya at uk.bp.com
Thu Jul 6 03:42:22 PDT 2006

Many thanks Steve.

I have been able to resolve the issue using your input.

This is what I have done;

1. Set environment variable P4PASSWD in my client machine to my Perforce
password.
2. Fired command prompt and issued 'p4 passwd' command. Got response
'You don't have permission for this operation.'. I believe that is just
a permission problem. I am at security level 2 now.
3. Fired p4Win and changed password using User -> Set Password for
<User>. This operation succeeded.
5. Closed p4Win. Set environment variable P4PASSWD to my new Perforce
password. Fired p4Win again. p4Win Connected without prompting for
password and without any error.

To find out the impact of environment variable P4PASSWD, I did the
following;
1. Set environment variable P4PASSWD to a value different from my
Perforce password in my client machine. Fired p4Win. Got message
'WARNING: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or unset.'. Keyed my
correct Perforce password. Logged on successfully. In this occasion
Perforce password was not unset at local machine, but it was invalid.
2. Removed environment variable P4PASSWD from my local machine. Fired
p4Win. Got message 'WARNING: Perforce password (P4PASSWD) invalid or
unset.'. Keyed my correct Perforce password. Logged on successfully. In
this occasion Perforce password was unset at local machine.

Thanks again.
Cheers - Deb.