[p4] How to handle VSS File sharing capability in perforce?

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Thu Jul 6 06:58:08 PDT 2006

There is a big question in the CM community on whether the filesharing
ability of VSS is a "feature" or a "bug".

You already mentioned the advantages. It's a quick way to share a file,
and making the modification in one place modifies it in all of its
shared places.

However, who owns this file? Who is responsible to make sure it works
everywhere? How is this documented in your system? Is there a way to
find all of these shared files, and know where they are shared? Many CM
people feel this creates a documentation and ownership hazard.

Instead, it is recommended that shared code is placed in its own
component directory and compiled into its own library or DLL. That's a
bit more work than simply sharing the file all around your project, and
if you come off of VSS to another version control system, you will need
to do a bit of work to rearchitect your project.

I don't know of any other major version control tool with the file
sharing feature besides VSS. StarTeam might implement this feature, but
we didn't use it if it did. File sharing is not in CVS, Subversion,
PVCS, or Arch. On Unix systems, ClearCase can allow for hard links
between files on the same VOB, but most ClearCase CMs discourage this
because of the problems it can cause.