[p4] Scripting Login

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Thu Jul 6 07:27:07 PDT 2006

The way to get around this is to setup a group for this user using "p4
group" command -- you can't do this through P4V or P4win. Set the
Timeout value to "99999999". This will keep any user in this group
logged in for the next 3 1/2 years. Add this user to the group, and do a
"p4 login -a" to log the user in.

Remember to only use eight 9s and not 9 nines. In theory, nine 9s
(999999999) as a timeout will last 30 years, but due to a bug in
Perforce, it doesn't work. Also, don't use a timeout of zero which is
suppose to allow a user to be logged in forever. The problem is if the
user is a member of more than a single group, the user's login time will
be the highest timeout value of all the groups that user is in. And,
zero is much lower than the standard 43200 (12 hours) value.