[p4] How to handle VSS File sharing capability in perforce?

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Thu Jul 6 07:41:15 PDT 2006

Perforce doesn't have file sharing (and neither do any other major
version control system I've worked with). However, you could simulate
sharing in people's views. For example, let's say you put all shared
files in //depot/shared, you could do something like this:

	Root:	C:\p4-client
		//depot/myproject/mycomponent/...   //p4-client/...
		+//depot/shared/...  //p4-client/...

That would put all the shared file into the same location as the rest of
the files. If you have individual files, you may have to specify each of
those in the client:

	Root:	C:\p4-client
		//depot/myproject/mycomponent/... //p4-client/...
		+//depot/shared/foo.cpp	//p4-client/bar/foo.cpp
		+//depot/shared/bar.cpp	//p4-client/bar/bar.cpp
		+//depot/shared/fubar.cpp //p4-client/bar/foo/fubar.cpp

This would simulate the sharing as it occurs with each user, and it is
possible if you can get a mapping of where all the shared files are and
where they are mapped, to automatically generate the Perforce clients
for your users.

The best solution, of course, would be to move the legacy projects from
using shared files to shared compiled components while in VSS. Then once
you've got rid of the shared files, move the source archive over to
Perforce.