[p4] P4Win vs P4V

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 10:41:37 PDT 2006

My understanding is that p4win *is* being maintained, but at a lower level
than previously, as regards changes/improvements that are authorised to be
made. Over time I think it is expected to "fade away", but as to the
timeframe, it could easily be years. That said, Perforce is generally
insanely good at backwards compatibility, so it's not going to go away and
will support newer server versions etc.

P4V has the development (and business) focus, but the challenges of cross
platform development make it significantly slower at advancing than p4win
did in its prime. I think a lot of this is just the nature of the beast of
cross platform development. I have personally been hoping for feature parity
for a while, but it still hasn't made it quite yet, inspite of overtaking
p4win in a variety of areas.

With one exception, the GA release (happened very recently) of p4v 6.1 is
heartily recommended and a big improvement on 5.2 IMO.

Robert