[p4] Perforce 2006.1 - Time to upgrade?

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Fri Jul 7 06:03:12 PDT 2006

I just started using Perforce. We installed 2005.1 and then a couple of
months later 2005.2 came out. Since 2005.2 allowed P4V users to change
their passwords, and at that time, we were still getting people up and
running on Perforce, we made the decision to upgrade everything to
2005.2. Of course, we then got hit by that major  merge bug which caused
a lot of people here to get pretty upset at Perforce.

The wounds now have healed, and we now everyone we want on Perforce is
on release 2005.2. Now, I see that 2006.1 is out, and it includes using
the "most recent common ancestor" approach for merging. This would be a
major improvement in the merging algorithm and a great reason to
upgrade. However, as we got stung with the change in the merging
algorithm in the last upgrade, I'm a little concerned with the upgrade
here.

I know from 2 decades in software development that there is no such
thing as a bug free upgrade. I know that new releases introduce new
bugs. But, whether or not you upgrade is also a question of how well an
organization does their QA testing, and how seriously they take software
quality. Some companies do an excellent job with testing. When a new
upgrade comes out, you know that it is relatively bug free, and whatever
bugs are introduced, they will tend to be minor. The value of the latest
features almost always outweigh any possible problems. Meanwhile there
are other companies where upgrades go more like the beginning of
"Raiders of the Lost Ark" where Indiana Jones attempted to "upgrade"
that idol, but with less tech support.

I'm just curious about where Perforce tends to fall into this spectrum.
How has Perforce been in the past with new releases? How stable do they
tend to be? Do you tend to upgrade as soon as possible to take advantage
of the latest features? Do you wait a few months for Perforce to iron
out any bugs? Or, do you avoid upgrading as long as possible?

--
David Weintraub
david.weintraub at bankofamerica.com
david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com