[p4] Perforce 2006.1 - Time to upgrade?

Schlueter, Michael Michael.Schlueter at secunet.com
Fri Jul 7 09:01:56 PDT 2006

Hi David,
We are using Perforce for more than five years now.
As far as I remember, the merge issue with 2005.2 was the first serious
bug in a released version in this five years.
I think that merge scenarios are the more complex thing a SCM system has
to deal with and it is very hard test all possible situations
beforehand.
But, because of the 2005.2 issue, I'm pretty sure that Perforce has
spend some effort, to prevent this from happening again.
However I tend to wait with the upgrade at least a few weeks until I get
a timeframe with low traffic to minimize the risk.
Additionally I have mirror system of our real perforce server and I
upgrade this one first and play I while with it.
Of course, someone has to be brave enough to go ahead, so I would
suggest that you update your server and tell us your findings ;-).

Regards
Michael