[p4] P4Win vs P4V

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 09:03:31 PDT 2006

There *were* lots of refresh problems that used to require you to exit and
restart p4v to fix. In my experience those are pretty much fixed with 5.2.

6.1 of p4v is looking much better, and a lot of minor usability niggles that
annoyed the hell out of me like the way you had to tear off dialogs etc have
been fixed.

I have noticed one bug which is that if you try integrating with a branch
spec and wish to specify a revision range (e.g. upto changelist N or from N
to M), then it doesn't do a range - it just does the lot (you can see the
command in the log window with either preview or integrate). Interestingly,
the selective integration using filespec integration (or drag and drop if
you prefer), does work. You need to be aware of this or you could mess up
your branching history. I have reported this and hope it will be fixed ASAP.

With this one caveat, I have been otherwise using and teaching courses with
p4v 6.1 betas (and now GA) and it's working well. Still miss a few things
from p4win.

Robert